iOS - Update the certificates in the back office (Solo mode)
The certificates and mobile provision files used in your app are visible in the menu Publish > Certificates > iOS
They are displayed in green when they are valid and red when they are expired.
To renew expired certificates:
- GoodBarber takes care of the iOS submission process for you
1. Go to the left swipe menu Publish > Certificates > iOS
2. Click the blue button Renew my certificates.
3. Follow this tutorial
The team will update the certificates for you and inform you in the Support when it's done.
- You are taking care of the iOS submission process yourself (Solo)
1. Go to the left swipe menu Publish > Certificates > iOS .
2. Click the blue button Renew my certificates.
3. Read the information below and follow the steps of the back office tutorial until you reach the Ninja page
Note: There are moments in the submission process when the update of the iOS certificates is not allowed.
The button will not be visible when:
- The app is being compiled
- The app is ready for test (to unlock it, go to Publish > Publication > iOS and click Modify)
- The app is pending submission to the store and hasn't yet been marked as published in the back office.
Distribution Certificate renewal
- App distributed through App Store Connect (Apple's official App Store):
The iOS Distribution Certificate is valid for 1 year. It is only used to compile the app or send it to the store.
If you don't need to do any of these actions, there is no emergency to renew the Distribution Certificate.
An expired iOS Distribution certificate doesn't impact the version that is already published on the store or installed on the users' devices.
- App distributed internally (out of Apple's official App Store):
The In-House Distribution Certificate is valid for 3 years. When it expires, the users can no longer open the app
It must be renewed as soon as it expires, and a new version must be sent to the users.
To replace your expired Distribution Certificate, you can either:
a) Create a new Distribution Certificate
1. Download the CSR file provided in the back office
2. Open https://developer.apple.com in a new tab of your browser
3. Login to your Apple account and go to the menu Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles > Certificates
4. Follow the instructions given in the back office GoodBarber to create a new certificate
5. Upload the new Distribution Certificate in your back office GoodBarber
b) Use an existing Distribution Certificate or upload a .p12 file
- You have already compiled another app with GoodBarber
If ALL the above requirements are met:
1. Select "I want to use an existing distribution certificate" in your back office GoodBarber
A drop down menu will show you existing distribution certificates used in your other apps.
2. Choose the other app from the list that's already using this certificate.
Note: If you're an expert, you can also import a .p12 file. The associated password of this p12 file must be " duoapps ".
Push Certificate renewal
The Push Certificate is valid for 1 year and 1 month. When it expires, the push notifications stop working in your iOS app.
It must be renewed as soon as it expires.
To create a new Push Certificate
1. Download the CSR file provided in the back office GoodBarber
2. Open https://developer.apple.com in a new tab in your browser
3. Login to your Apple account and go to the menu Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles >Identifiers
4. Select the App ID of your app, scroll down
5. Scroll down until the line Push Notifications and click on configure (or edit)
Note: If there is already a Production Push Certificate associated to this App ID, delete it before creating a new one.
6. Under Production SSL certificate, click on "Create certificate"
7. Upload the CSR file and download the new Push Certificate
8. Upload the new Push Certificate file in your back office GoodBarber
Mobile Provision files update
The Mobile Provision files are valid for 1 year.
They must be updated when you renew a certificate (Distribution Certificate, Push Certificate, or both).
To update the Mobile Provision files:
1. Open https://developer.apple.com in a new tab in your browser
2. Go to the menu Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles > Profiles
3. Select the App Store Mobile Provision file of your app
4. Choose the Distribution Certificate used in the back office (same expiration date as the one indicated in Publish > Certificates > iOS ). Verify it has the right App ID.
5. Save the new App Store Mobile Provision file and download it.
6. Delete the old App Store Mobile Provision file from the back office and upload the new one.
7. Repeat the operation with the Ad Hoc Mobile Provision file.
If needed, you can also add new devices to test the ad hoc version at this step.
Compilation / store update after renewing the iOS certificates
- Apps distributed on App Store Connect:
No compilation is required (unless a new device to test the ad hoc version has been added).
No submission of a new version to the store is required.
- Apps distributed Internally:
New compilation required after any certificate / mobile provision update.
Necessity to send the newest version to your users.
- More articles