SEO & Progressive Web App
Written by Marie Pireddu on
Having good or favorable SEO means that your Progressive Web App comes up as one of the first results returned by the search engines when someone types the keywords you're aiming to be positioned around.
How does it work? When search engines turn up results, they are based on 2 elements :
To make up their index, search engines use indexation robots. These robots (bots) browse the web and collect information about the websites visited (content, links, activity, etc.).
Information saved in the index is then used by algorithms. For each request, they calculate and return the list of the most pertinent sites. There are many settings taken into account in judging the level of pertinence. Certain ones are of a technical nature, others are editorial, and some are related to various links that link sites together.
When optimizing SEO for your Progressive Web App, there are 3 aspects to consider : technical, editorial and link building
1. Technical: Your PWA must be correctly indexed by robots
With SEO and technologies constantly evolving, staying up to date is hard work.
It is GoodBarber's job to keep up with the constant innovations and improving the performance of your Progressive Web App. One of the best advantages of using our App builder ;)
A . GoodBarber takes care of the technical stuff
Whether you’re using the Shopping App platform or Classic App platform, GoodBarber provides you with a source code that is optimized to be indexed by bots. Some key technical elements include:
- HTTPS: how does a SSL certificate helps?
- Since 2014, HTTPS has become a signal in Google algorithm. Google prefers https site and Chrome warns users when a connection is not secured.
- If your have a Shopping PWA, remember that 84% of people will abandon a purchase on a site if it’s not secured.
- With GoodBarber, all your PWA's pages are served over https by default.
- Speed: Google and users have come to expect content to load fast. If your PWA doesn’t meet these expectations, your clients will quickly move on to another shop and your ranking will suffer.
- GoodBarber Shopping Apps AMP ( Accelerated Mobile Pages) helps deliver content to mobile users a greater speed.
- Optimized page compression : Images are one of the main reasons for slow loading pages. In order to minimize bandwidth consumption and reduce loading time, GoodBarber developed a dedicated algorithm to manage the compression of images.
- Schema markup: how content is structured so search engines have a better understanding of the content on your pages and enable special features to accompany your pages in the SERP (rich snippets).
GoodBarber gives you the opportunity to customize parts of the code that will allow you to improve the indexation of your content, on your targeted keywords
There are various options that provide you with all you need to be perfectly indexed. In your app (Shopping or Classic) back office you will be able to customize key elements for your SEO.
- Title Tag:
In your GoodBarber back office, the information provided in the title tag field allows you to fill in the browser title for a given page. The content in this tag is taken in the search results—it can be the name of your site, the name of each product page, collection etc. We recommend to choose a title that's less than 70 characters so that it's not truncated in the results.
- Meta Description Tag
Take the time to write your meta description. It serves as the promotional text for your Progressive Web App. Write a compelling description using important keywords.
Do not duplicate your meta descriptions. It is important to have unique descriptions on each page.
Shopping App: each product has a meta description and a rich snippet to preview how it will be displayed on the search engine
Classic App: each of your CMS sections (articles, videos etc) has a meta description.
URL slugs are the end of the URL of a specific page on your Progressive Web App.
Why do URLs matter in SEO?
There are 3 main reasons:
- Improves user experience, by providing a clear idea of what the page is about
- Rankings : in addition to providing more explicit URLs for your visitors, editing a slug helps to improve your Search Engine Optimization.Indeed, search engines take into account the content of the web address in their algorithm. With a custom slug, the page address contains keywords that will improve indexing and the visibility of your page in search results.
- Links: well written URLs are more user friendly and can generate more clicks when shared as a link in social media, blogs etc...
From your GoodBarber back office you can edit and customize the default slugs of any page of your PWA (Shopping or Classic).
Remember not to use accent, space and special characters in your slug.
We recommend that you use targeted keywords on each page of your PWA (in your product descriptions, articles, titles etc)
But be careful, while keywords are important, stay away from keyword stuffing. By overusing keywords you are spamming your content and Google may think that you are trying to trick the system, which is definitely not a good thing!
2. Editorial: Write quality content and update regularly
- Quality content: The content of a page is what makes it worthy of a search result position. It is what the user came to see and is extremely important to the search engines.
Keep in mind that you're writing for people and not for robots. Don't make the mistake of writing sentences that are difficult to understand or unpleasant to read just to get in as many keywords as possible.
Write for your audience, to answer their needs. Users want to have access to the info they are looking for and quickly.
- Classic app: this apply to all your content: articles, videos etc...
Other benefits from quality content:
- Regular updates: Content freshness is an important criteria for search engines when determining pertinence. You should regularly write and make as many articles as possible publicly visible (accessible to search engines), using keywords around which you want to be positioned. Remember that robots give priority to the first 100 characters in an article.
3. Link acquisition: backlinks from similar sites
Try to obtain as many links from other sites as you can. If other sites point towards yours, this is a very good indicator for search engines that you have pertinent content and a sign of confidence from other sites.
Links coming from websites of the same activity sector are preferable.
4. Mistakes to avoid
- The 3 aspects noted above are important That being said, technical aspects are not everything. To differentiate yourself from competitors, original, high quality content must be produced to capture an audience. If the content is pertinent, your audience will naturally make links to your PWA.
- SEO takes time—it's not an overnight process. It will take a few weeks before you start to appear as a result in primary search engines. Seniority of a PWA also plays a role in algorithms, which means priority is given to older PWA.
- Be wary of tempting offers that promise you first position in Google. These techniques that aim to trick search engines (black hat SEO) are severely punishable and can eventually lead to total index exclusion. You should, therefore, avoid being part of directories, content farms, etc.
GoodBarber gives you all the tools necessary to achieve good SEO and generate more traffic for your Progressive Web App, allowing to efficiently promote your business.