GoodBarber's Online Help
iOS - Update the certificates
Create a new Push Certificate
The certificates and mobile provision used in your app are visible in the menu Sales Channels > iOS App > Certificates in your back office.
Valid* certificates are displayed in green.
Expired certificates are displayed in red.
The Distribution Certificate is used to compile the iOS app and distribute it in App Store Connect.
When the Distribution Certificate expires, it has no impact on the existing users of your app or on the version of the app that is currently published in the store.
The Distribution Certificate must be renewed before compiling or uploading the next version of your app to App Store Connect. There is no rush to do it if you don't plan to update the app in the store anytime soon.
The Push Certificate is used to make the push service work in your app.
When the Push Certificate expires, the push stop working for iOS. Your users no longer receive them and an error is displayed in the Push history list.
Therefore, the Push Certificate should be renewed before it expires in order to ensure the continuity of the push notification service in your app.
*Note : The back office is not connected to the Apple Developer account and has no way to detect when a certificate has been revoked. The certificate will still be displayed as valid until the due expiration date, even if it has been manually revoked in the Developer Account.
How to renew expired certificates
1. In your back office go to Sales channels > iOS app > Certificates
2. Click the blue button Renew my certificates*
*The button won't be available when the app is being generated or when the app is pending validation in App Store Connect.
Note : The next steps will describe the process for solo users who deal with the publication process of their iOS app on their own.
If GoodBarber is taking care of the publication for you, this online help is the one you should follow, as you do not have access to the publication process in your back office.
Create a new Distribution Certificate
- App distributed through App Store Connect (Apple's official App Store):
The App Store Distribution Certificate is valid for 1 year. It is only used to compile the app or send it to the store.
If you don't need to do any of these actions, there is no emergency to renew the Distribution Certificate.
An expired App Store Distribution certificate doesn't impact the version that is already published on the store or installed on the users' devices.
To replace your expired Distribution Certificate, you can either:
1. In Sales Channel > iOS app > Publish , continue to step 1, select "Create a new distribution certificate" and go to the next step.
2. Go to step 2.2 and download the .csr file provided in the back office
2. In a new tab of your browser, go to your Apple Developer Account > Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles > Certificates
4. Create a new certificate by following the instructions from steps 2.3 to 2.4 in the back office.
5. Upload the new Distribution Certificate at step 2.5 in your back office .
Note : If the Distribution Certificate doesn't need to be renewed and you only need to renew the push certificate, select "Use an existing certificate" at step 1 and follow the next steps bellow.
Create a new Push Certificate
1. In Sales Channel > iOS app > Publish , continue to step 5 and download the .csr file provided in the back office.
2. In your Apple Developer account, go to Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles > Identifiers
4. Select the App ID of your app (in case of a doubt, it is the App ID displayed in the menu Sales channels > iOS > Certificates in your back office)
5. Scroll down to the Push Notifications capability and make sure the box is checked.
6. Click the button configure (if the current push certificate has expired), or edit (if the current push certificate is still valid) on the line.
7. Under Production SSL certificate, delete any existing certificate, then click "Create certificate" (don't worry, the certificate you revoke will be replaced almost immediately).
8. Upload the .csr file and download the new Push Certificate.
9. Upload the new Push Certificate at step 5.6 in your back office .
Update the Provisioning Profile
You should renew the Provisioning Profile of your app whenever you renew the Distribution Certificate, the Push Certificate, or both certificates.
1. In your Apple Developer account go to Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles > Profiles
3. Select the App Store Mobile Provision file of your app.
4. Make sure the Distribution Certificate and App ID are the same as in Sales channels > iOS > Certificates (the Distribution Certificate should have the same expiration date).
5. Save the new App Store Mobile Provision file and download it.
6. Delete the old App Store Mobile Provision file from the back office at step 6.4 and upload the new one.
Compilation and update
Once you renew the certificates, you will be asked to compile your app.
While the renewing of certificates doesn't require a new compilation or an update of your app we strongly recommend sending a new version of your app to the store if the current published version is one-year-old or older.
Please contact the support at this step if you desire to unlock your backoffice.
- iOS - Create an Apple Developer account (Mandatory)
- iOS - Compile your native iOS app
- iOS - Publish the app in App Store Connect
- iOS - Update your app in App Store Connect
- iOS - Update the certificates
- iOS - Replace a published app with your new GoodBarber app
- iOS - Get the bundle ID and version number of the existing iOS app
- iOS - Publication timeframe