iOS - Update the certificates in the back office (Solo mode)
The certificates and mobile provision files used in your app are visible in the menu Sales channels > iOS > Certificates
They are displayed in green when they are valid and red when they are expired.
To renew expired certificates:
- GoodBarber takes care of the iOS submission process for you (GBTC mode)
1. Go to the menu Sales channels > iOS > Certificates
2. Click the blue button Renew my certificates.
3. Follow this tutorial
The team will update the certificates for you and inform you in the Support when it's done.
- You are taking care of the iOS submission process yourself (Solo mode)
1. Go to the left swipe menu Sales channels > iOS > Certificates
2. Click the blue button "Renew my certificates".
3. Read the information below and follow the steps of the back office tutorial until the Ninja page
Note: There are moments in the submission process when the update of the iOS certificates is not allowed.
The button will not be visible when:
- The app is being compiled
- The app is ready for test (to unlock it, go to Sales channels > iOS App > Publish click "Modify")
- The app is pending submission to the store and hasn't yet been marked as published in the back office.
Distribution Certificate renewal
- App distributed through App Store Connect (Apple's official App Store):
The App Store Distribution Certificate is valid for 1 year. It is only used to compile the app or send it to the store.
If you don't need to do any of these actions, there is no emergency to renew the Distribution Certificate.
An expired App Store Distribution certificate doesn't impact the version that is already published on the store or installed on the users' devices.
To replace your expired Distribution Certificate, you can either:
a) Create a new Distribution Certificate
1. Download the CSR file provided in the back office
2. Open https://developer.apple.com in a new tab of your browser
3. Login to your Apple account and go to the menu Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles > Certificates
4. Follow the instructions given in the back office GoodBarber to create a new certificate
5. Upload the new Distribution Certificate in your back office GoodBarber
b) Use an existing Distribution Certificate or upload a .p12 file
- You have already compiled another app with GoodBarber
If ALL the above requirements are met:
1. Select "I want to use an existing distribution certificate" in your back office GoodBarber
A drop down menu will show you existing distribution certificates used in your other apps.
2. Choose the other app from the list that's already using this certificate.
Note: If you're an expert, you can also import a .p12 file. The associated password of this p12 file must be " duoapps ".
Push Certificate renewal
The Push Certificate is valid for 1 year and 1 month. When it expires, the push notifications stop working in your iOS app.
It must be renewed as soon as it expires.
To create a new Push Certificate
1. Download the CSR file provided in the back office GoodBarber
2. Open https://developer.apple.com in a new tab in your browser
3. Login to your Apple account and go to the menu Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles > App ID
4. Select the App ID of your app, scroll down and click on Edit
5. Scroll down until the line Push Notifications > Production SSL certificate
6. Click "Create certificate"
Note: If there is already a Production Push Certificate associated to this App ID, we recommend deleting it before creating a new one.
7. Upload the CSR file and download the new Push Certificate
8. Upload the new Push Certificate file in your back office GoodBarber
Mobile Provision files update
The Mobile Provision files are valid for 1 year.
They must be updated when you renew a certificate (Distribution Certificate, Push Certificate, or both).
To update the Mobile Provision files:
1 - Open https://developer.apple.com in a new tab in your browser
2 - Go to the menu Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles > Provisioning Profiles
3 - Select the Mobile Provision file of your app and click on "Edit"
4 - Choose the Distribution Certificate used in the back office (same expiration date as the one indicated in Sales channels > iOS > Certificates ). Verify it has the right App ID.
5 - Generate the new Mobile Provision file and download it.
6 - Delete the old Mobile Provision file from the back office and upload the new one.
7 - Repeat the operation with the Ad Hoc Mobile Provision file.
If needed, you can also add new devices to test the ad hoc version at this step.
Compilation / store update after renewing the iOS certificates
- Apps distributed on App Store Connect:
No compilation is required (unless a new device to test the ad hoc version has been added).
No submission of a new version to the store is required.
- More articles