Mobile App Marketing 101
Written by Marie Pireddu on
With the number of available apps for download from the world’s leading app stores totaling over four million, the competition to get users’ attention is tough.
Having a beautiful, well-designed app won't be enough if you don't have a well-thought marketing strategy from the day you put your app idea in production.
In this article, we'll cover the three stages of a mobile app marketing strategy and the metrics to measure to drive long-term success
Mobile App marketing is all the marketing actions/ campaigns you will create to engage with your users during the 3 different stages of their journey:
Awareness: this is when you attract your targeted users to your app
Acquisition or conversion: when your targeted users download your app
Retention: You have your users, now you need to keep them happy and engage or they will easily uninstall your app.
Let's now see in detail which marketing actions to take in each of these stages.
There are multiple ways to attract your targeted users and let them know about your upcoming project.
(Note: this implies that you've already done your research and know your target audience, their behaviors, and preferences)
If you haven't done it yet, create an account for your brand. Facebook and Instagram are most commonly used, with Twitter too. But you don't have to be on all platforms. Select the ones you know your target audience prefers.
And remember, it takes five to seven interactions for a person to remember a brand. So be present. Create entertaining and engaging content. On Instagram for example, you can post daily Stories, be consistently visible, and build a following. Once you’ve set a date for the launch, you will already have a following to announce when the app they’ve been waiting for is finally coming out.
(If you're using GoodBarber, you will be able to easily share your published app on social media)
One of the other advantages of social media is that you can engage directly with your audience thanks to comments and direct messages.
You can also join groups on Facebook or Linkedin. Start by being present and share relevant content that will build your authority. Become a valued member of the group before the launch of your app. Most of them have set days for self-promotion and you will be able to announce the launch of your app to an already engaged audience ;)
You can find more info on the importance of social media for your app in this article.
If you already have a website, you can use it to keep people updated about your app. Talking about your upcoming app will builds hype and continues to attract people even before the app is actually launched.
If you don't have a website, you can create a simple landing page with all the info and the latest update on your app. You can use tools like Unbounce . When creating the landing page, remember to use keywords, that the page must be easy to navigate and optimized for mobile. Take advantage of website analytics tools like Google Analytics to track its performance.
Bonus: you can use the landing page to collect emails and used them to send an email to announce the launch of any new features, monthly newsletter, etc.
If you're using GoodBarber, once your app published you will be able to share your app on your website with custom widgets with both Google and Apple buttons integrated.
Also, reach out to bloggers to write about, review your app, and maybe secure backlinks.
All this takes time, so really plan this early to get responses on time for your launch.
You can find out of to create a content marketing strategy in this article.
Before sending it to the Stores, comes one important part of your marketing strategy: App Store Optimization (ASO)
- The title is the most important element. The words you put in it act like keywords, so you should be sure to have included keywords with a high search traffic level and at the same time be sure the title has a good balance between keywords and branding.
- The App Description is not only relevant for the users, but also for the app stores algorithm. Clearly explain what the app is, what it does, and give a clear overview of its features.
- To improve your search rankings, you need to know which keywords are relevant and used most often by your target audience. They are especially important in the Apple App Store, as they are a key factor in search rankings.
Your app is now published, time to work on boosting the downloads. We'll cover 4 ways to do that.
- Paid advertising: You can now start rolling out ads on social platforms to get the first boost in downloads. Facebook is a great platform to start with (and you can also set these ads for Instagram from the same interface). Thanks to its larger and more varied audience (nearly 2.5 billion users), it has proven to be a highly effective platform when looking into increasing app installs. It is also cheaper and allows you to collect data on your users. To find out how to create Facebook Install Ads, head over to this article
- App review sites: you can solicit reviews from websites that review apps professionally. There are many websites specializing in that. Amon the top ones: PreApps, AppAdvice (for iOS apps only), FeedMyApp, and for the more techies ProductHunt, Mashable.
- Participate in competitions: Participate in all types of competitions. If you are at the beginning of your launch, the goal is to make yourself known. These contests can help you meet partners, referrals, get press articles all sorts of exposure. There are lots of different Apps contests for you to find the ones that will bring you the most visibility.
- Featured on App Store:
- Referrals can definitely be an efficient way to increase your app downloads. Create partnerships with others and offer them a commission or reward for every download they bring. It's a win-win situation. You can even offer your users a referral bonus to promote your app
- Push notifications: They are one of the greatest tools for mobile app promotion. They have a higher opening rate than emails (3X) and allow you to interact directly with your users. They have been shown to increase user retention and a user who accepted to receive notifications will most likely be more engaged.
You can find out the best practice to make the most of push notification in this article
If you're using GoodBarber, you can set up scheduled push notifications and determine exactly the action to be taken upon open the notification.
- Ask your users for feedback: Having people using your app constantly is a good sign. It's always good practice to ask these users for feedback and ask them for a review. Social proof is one of the strongest decision factors for people when deciding to purchase a product and even downloading an app. The more positive the ratings are for your app, the better chance it has of being downloaded.
These reviews and feedback will also help you improve your app and your users will be happy to see their suggestions taken into consideration.
- Build Loyalty: By offering a loyalty program or rewards, your users will feel appreciated, recognized. Rewarding your users for their loyalty and frequent engagement can help distinguish your app from other competitors. When you offer valuable rewards, users will be interested in being a part of your community and become loyal ambassadors.
- Churn rate: how many of your users have uninstalled the app
- Daily active users (DAUs) or any other period of time, monthly active users for example. This will let you know how people are using your app.
- Session length: this can help you determine how engaging your app is.
- Cost per acquisition.
Also, our engineers have already taken care of the implementation of Google Analytics for Firebase . All you have to do is follow the different configuration steps from the Firebase console (https://console.firebase.google.com/ ) to start collecting events in your app and sending them to Firebase.
Pre-launch and post-launch, there is a lot to do to set up a complete mobile app marketing strategy. But by planning ahead and following these tips, you will increase your app visibility, boost your downloads and maintain a high retention rate, setting you ahead of your competition.